Friday, December 23, 2005

Sticker Shock

I learn more from people who disagree with me than I do from those who agree with me. My last post talked about what I learned from supporters of Intelligent Design and their philosophy of Teach the Controversy. Today I want to borrow from them again and talk about the power of stickers.

Many school boards are being pressured by ID proponents to place warning stickers on biology textbooks that read, "This textbook contains material on evolution. Evolution is a theory, not a fact, regarding the origin of living things. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered." A brilliant idea, and one I wish to borrow and adapt for my own needs.

I would like to propose printing up stickers to place on Bibles that read: "This book contains material on God. God is a matter of faith, not fact. The faith promoted in this book is only one of many possibilities. This material should be approached with an open mind, studied carefully and critically considered."

Can you imagine the impact such stickers would have on would-be Bible readers. I am not saying the Bible is wrong, only that there are a few billion people on the planet who disagree with it. Teach the controversy.

Designing and printing stickers on your computer is not difficult. My only question is whether or not placing stickers on Bibles (and other holy books for that matter) is legal. If you want to test this out, you might try sticking them on Bibles in churches, synagogues, bookstores, and hotel rooms. Think of it as a public service. If you do get arrested, let me know. While I won’t send any money to your defense fund, I might blog about it.

No comments: